Moving house for the first time
Moving house for the first time can be incredibly exciting. Not only will you have more space to do as you please, but you’ll also have more freedom, with the power to make your own rules. However, moving out of your parents’ house and into your own place can also be daunting. From making sure your finances are in order, to packing up your belongings, there’s a lot to remember. Read on to find out what to expect when moving house for the first time.
Tips for moving house in Market Harborough & Kettering
The process of moving house starts long before moving day. Here’s a list of tips to make sure your move goes smoothly.
Get your finances in order
Since you’ll no longer be living with your parents, it’s time to get a grasp on your finances and make sure you can afford to live on your own. Work out a daily budget, taking your income and outgoings into account. Your outgoings should include everything from rent or mortgage payments and utility costs to groceries and phone bills.
Make sure you’re happy with the location
Once you’ve found a property you like, it’s important to make sure you’re happy with the location. The rent might be low, but are you sacrificing good public transport links or parking spaces? You might think an hour’s walk to the station isn’t too bad, but doing it every day can quickly wear thin. You should also consider an area’s crime levels. Would you be happy about walking alone at night? Visit at different times of the day to get a real feel for what a location is like.
Have a clear-out
Many people don’t realise how many possessions they have until they start to pack them all into boxes before a move. So, this is a great time to throw away things you don’t want or need anymore. The fewer items you need to move to your new home, the easier and more affordable it will be. Sell, donate or recycle your unwanted belongings before moving day arrives.
Choose a reputable removals company
The secret to making sure moving day goes smoothly is hiring a reputable house removals company in Kettering or Market Harborough. Some people who are moving house for the first time think they can save money by moving themselves or with the help of friends. However, this is rarely a good idea, particularly if you have lots of possessions. A removals firm can make moving day much less stressful, helping you settle into your new place quickly and easily. We recommend getting quotes for removals services as early as possible. The best companies get booked up well in advance, especially during the summer months.
Start packing early
Whatever you do, don’t leave it until moving day to start packing up your worldly possessions. Even if you think you don’t have many belongings, chances are that you have more than you realise. Packing for a house move can be very time-consuming, and so it’s a good idea to begin the process early on. Many home removals companies in Kettering and Market Harborough offer professional packing services. At Metro Removals, we’ll be happy to pack for you, and even provide all the necessary packing materials to ensure your belongings are packed securely ready to be transported to your new home.
Make essential purchases
Many people who are moving house for the first time find themselves lacking essential items once they’re finally moved in. There are a few things you should buy before the move, including:
- Bed. Although getting the keys to your new place might be your main priority, you should make sure you will have a bed. If you’re taking your bed from your parents’ house, it may need disassembling and then assembling at the other end. Many removals companies in Market Harborough or Kettering will be able to this for you. You’ll also need a mattress, mattress topper, duvet, pillows, duvet, and bedsheets.
- Curtains. Curtains are low down on many people’s shopping lists when moving house for the first time, but their importance shouldn’t be understated. After a long day spent moving, they can help ensure you get a restful night’s sleep.
- Toolkit. Even if you’re not a DIY enthusiast, a toolkit can come in handy when moving house. Screwdrivers, hammers, and nails are likely to be required for carrying out repairs or building furniture.
- Cleaning supplies. There’s no guarantee that the previous occupants will have cleaned up after themselves. So, it’s important to have some basic cleaning products on hand to help you make your new place sparkle.
- Toilet paper. Don’t get caught short when you move into your new property!
- Kitchen basics. Moving house is hungry busy, so make sure you have everything you need to provide you with much-needed sustenance. As well as packing snacks, you should also make teabags, milk, and a mug easily accessible.
Notify companies of your move
If you’ve been living with your parents and they pay all the bills, you might not think you need to notify anyone of your move. However, it’s not just utility providers who need to know when someone moves house. You need to inform your bank, insurers, DVLA, HMRC, GP surgery, employer, and many other organisations. If you’ve lived in a property for several years, you’ll find that you have a lot of work to do updating companies with your new contact details. For this reason, you may want to use the Post Office’s change of address service, which lets you redirect all your post to your new address.
Moving house for the first time is easy and stress-free when you hire the services of an experienced house removals company in Kettering or Market Harborough. Call Metro Removals on 01536 688 149 or 01858 790 000 and talk to one of our friendly team. Alternatively, send us a message via the website and we’ll get back to you right away.